10 Baking Tools that the Home Baker Can't Live Without
Baking tools Baking requires precision and a willingness to adapt to a changing recipe. So in order to get the most out of your baking experience, and to create the tastiest and most delicious baked goods and treats, you need baking tools that...
Baking requires precision and a willingness to adapt to a changing recipe. So in order to get the most out of your baking experience, and to create the tastiest and most delicious baked goods and treats, you need baking tools that can do the job, and do it right.
There are many important items a baker can't live without in the kitchen. So while there are several different types tools that the average home baker needs to bake, each individual baking situation dictates what tools are work best.
Here now, are 10 of the most important tools-of-the-trade that a baker needs.
1. Accurate and high quality measuring tools. Measuring cups and spoons for liquid and dry measurements are a great investment. To ensure that your baked goods come out as intended, your measuring cups have to be tooled so that they are accurate. Even a slight alteration in the design will leave your baked goods lacking. Never skimp on good measuring cups.
2. Offset spatula. Prized by chefs the world over, an offset spatula is perhaps the handiest overall hand tool in your kitchen. With one, you can ice a cake, slice cheesecake and lasagna, and spread condiments with ease. Simply, all the things a butter knife can do, an offset spatula does better.
3. Half sheet pans. Specifically the ones designed for commercial ventures, like the heavy-duty aluminum, 18x13 inch pans used for cookies; to place under sheets for cooking pies; to sit under cakes when you are adding toppings. You can't go wrong with a good quality half sheet pan.
4. Digital Thermometer. While a traditional meat thermometer is OK for what it is, it isn't ideal for baking. Baking requires a thermometer that ranges above and below what a traditional meat thermometers can measure. For extreme accuracy, try a digital candy/sugar thermometer. It will also play double duty as it works with meat, too.
5. Cooling racks. After it is all said and done, you need a place to let your baked goods rest and for air to circulate. A cooling rack lets this process happen naturally while stopping your delicious yummies from turning into a soggy mess.
6. Bench scrapers. Such a simple tool, but so useful in the kitchen. They are a versatile little device that can easily scrape up ingredients, while at the same time, cut your brownies when you're done. For the consummate kitchen cleaner, a bench scraper wipes up every bit of flour from the counter.
7. A mixer. Most people who bake have a mixer of some sort. Sometimes they have simple hand mixers, sometimes they have expensive machines from commercial kitchens. What's important, at the most base level, is that it suits your needs and minimizes the labor. But remember, you can always get a better one, so don't limit your baking needs and desires!
8. Non-stick baking mat. To stop cookies from sticking to the tray, a silicone non-stick baking mat is how you avoid this. But it doesn't end with cookies. As with many items you use for baking, you can also use a non-stick baking mat for other parts of your home baking needs, including dinner items. Further, it is easily cleaned with soap and water.
9. Metal mixing bowls. Never underestimate the power of a metal mixing bowl. Not only do they last forever, you can use them for just about anything in the kitchen and clean them up easily when you are finished with them. To really treat yourself, try some of the newer ones with no-slip bottoms.
10. Pyrex liquid measuring cups. We know, measuring cups were already one the list, but not like these. Pyrex liquid measuring cups are more than the sum of their parts. Sure, they can measure liquids, but they can also be used to melt butter in the microwave, and are so strong you may end up buying one set of them that last decades.
So there you have it. We hope that this list helps you become a better baker or, at the very least, gives you some ideas for how to make your kitchen experience even better.
For more information on how we can help you with all of your baking needs, please contact us any time.