Appetizers from "Yesteryear"
Foodies talk about food regularly! Just the other day, we were reminiscing over lunch about the Appetizers we remembered from our youth. Southerners remembered homemade Cheese Straws and Deviled Eggs as their consistent top picks I resided in the...
Foodies talk about food regularly! Just the other day, we were reminiscing over lunch about the Appetizers we remembered from our youth. Southerners remembered homemade Cheese Straws and Deviled Eggs as their consistent top picks I resided in the dairy state for my youth, we always had cheese, but usually served with sausage and crackers. But there are two dips that were always requested at our house, a Mexican Dip and a Sausage Dip. My mother was known for these two dips.
Mexican Dip With Chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 15 ounce can chili with no beans, we have since expanded this to any can of chili
- About one can of black olives, sliced. In our house just as many were consumed in the prep, I would expect that we only topped with about ½ can of olives.
- green scallion onions, about three bunches, sliced, using all of the white and most of the green.
- 1 medium onion, chopped. There were always onions in our house and these were perfect substitutions.
- Mushrooms were sometimes added
- Jalepeno Peppers as we grew older also make the toppings. These could be sliced or diced.
- 1 – 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. We always had a heavy hand with the cheese on this dip
- Corn Tortilla Chips
- Layer in a deep pie plate starting with the softened cream cheese
- Then topping with chili or chili-no beans
- Finishing with onions, mushrooms, black olives and jalepenos if desired
- Final topping is the grated sharp cheddar cheese
Make at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes until bubbly and hot or microwave for about 5 minutes checking to see if this dip is bubbling hot and ready to serve. Depending on the microwave this might take up to 6 – 8 minutes. Check this often.
Serve warm with Corn Tortilla Chips. Be forewarned, this dip is addictive. We almost always made two dips as these were so popular and so easy!
Cheesy Sausage Dip
This recipe came from a neighbor who was not known to cook, so at first many were hesitant to try her offering. Then when she confessed that there were only four ingredients, we were even more skeptical. But like many recipes, you need to start with the best ingredients for the best success. This simple dip is another favorite. Simple and delicious!
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean’s hot and spicy sausage presented as a roll with the breakfast sausages. She told us that this was the ONLY brand to use!
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, her preference was ROTEL
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Frito Corn Chips – no substitutions!
- Pan fry the sausage and crumble the meat into a medium-to-fine mixture.
- Add in the tomatoes and chiles and heat this mixture together. If you like your dips really tight, hold off some of the liquid on the tomatoes. You can always add this later.
- Add in the cream cheese and it will “melt” and create this dip
- Serve warm.
- Use Frito Corn Chips as the vehicle to enjohy for this dip. I promise, those flavors really work well together.
WARNING: Neither of these recipes are heart healthy! Again, we were remembering our youth.
What is a favorite appetizer you remember from your youth?