Birthday Torte A Family Favorite Over the Years
Somehow when you mention dessert, chocolate has to be offered as an option. This cake, labelled as ?Birthday Torte?, was shared with me over 30 years ago and everyone is always amazed at how good this simple cake really is...
Somehow when you mention dessert, chocolate has to be offered as an option. This cake, labelled as ?Birthday Torte?, was shared with me over 30 years ago and everyone is always amazed at how good this simple cake really is to enjoy. In one family this was the favored Birthday Cake requested so the name was elevated to ?Torte?. The original recipe calls for margarine and this dates this creation. The presentation of a three layer cake with whipped cream as the filling and frosting is unique and memorable. It is simple whipped cream, but a treat that we rarely enjoy. Many gentlemen have especially requested this cake over the years. It is rather light and not too sweet. The thin butter cream frosting infused with nuts is also unexpected. I hope you take the time to create this ?Torte? for a special occasion.
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup margarine or butter
- 4 Squares (4 ounces) of Semi-Sweet chocolate ? melted and cooled.
- 3 eggs
- Combine all ingredients. Beat at low speed to blend, then two minutes on high.
- Then add the three eggs, and beat two more minutes.
- Grease and flour three 8? round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 ? 18 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 -15 minutes in the pan and then remove from pans and cool completely. ( ***I line the pans with parchment paper, still using a cooking spray to prevent sticking.)
Chocolate Filling Ingredients:
--This is a thin Butter Cream layer between cakes.
- 2 Squares (2 ounces) of chocolate melted and cooled. You can use any type of Chocolate here, I prefer Semi-Sweet.
- ¾ cup margarine or butter
- ½ cup toasted almonds
Mix together with a stand mixer for best results.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat these cream filling ingredients together until thick peaks are formed. I suggest allowing the bowl and whisk attachment to sit in the freezer for about an hour prior to whipping this filling for best results.
To Finish the Birthday Torte:
On a decorative Cake Plate, begin the layering.
Start with a layer of cake, then the butter cream and then the whipped cream and stack these three layers. Do Not Frost Sides?
Top garnish, add more toasted almonds, cocoa power or shaves of chocolate. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to get a good chill on this cake. This will help the butter cream to chill and create a crisp layer.
Enjoy with a pot of fresh brewed coffee.
Do you have a favorite ?Birthday Torte? at your house? Are you willing to share your recipe?