Classic Clam Chowder with a Tasty Healthy Twist
Clam chowder can be the perfect soup for a cool blustery evening, as well as a wonderful hardy compliment to a summer salad. The clams always seem reminiscent of time spent by the sea and resonates as the perfect...
Clam chowder can be the perfect soup for a cool blustery evening, as well as a wonderful hardy compliment to a summer salad. The clams always seem reminiscent of time spent by the sea and resonates as the perfect soup for every season throughout the year. The disappointment is realizing that it should most likely be consumed sparingly since it is usually loaded with heavy cream to obtain its delicious texture. Luckily, this recipe has been reinvented so that you can enjoy it completely guilt free anytime of year.
Cauliflower Clam Chowder with Bacon
- 2 - 6.5 oz cans of baby clams packed in clam juice
- 16 oz bottled clam juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped and steamed
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a large pot or dutch oven and cook the bacon over medium heat until it is crispy.
- Remove the bacon, and set aside. Drain the pot only leaving a tbsp of bacon grease behind.
- Increase heat to medium and add the onions. Saute them until they are slightly browned.
- Add the steamed cauliflower, clam juice, water, coconut cream, thyme, and rosemary.
- Let everything come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is soft enough to mash, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Stir in the canned clams, bacon, and fresh parsley. Let the soup to simmer on low for a two more minutes and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
This hardy soup will be a crowd-pleaser and no one will miss the extra calories from regular cream. Feel free to pair it with a home-baked cheddar bread loaf and a white wine with citrus notes for a wonderful meal to eat under the stars this summer. For other amazing salads and main courses that will be perfect for any dinner get together, contact us.